Friday, October 08, 2010

sew & tell - a quilting bee?

Did you remember that I am part of an online quilting bee, A Notion or Two?  I know, it's been a while since I've updated anything on it.  Partly because I've been a little slacker-ly this summer.  But I've been a busy bee (hahaha - pun totally intended) getting some blocks finished up.

You all know lovely Nicole from her guests posts here this summer.  She is making a maple leaf quilt.  It's going to be SO cute!  Here's my block for her:
June for Nicole

And Sarah, of A Flower for You, is starting her adventure in mommyhood in a few short months. These blocks will be for her little man. I just love the colors.
For Sarah


My month was May. I thought it would be a good month, I could send out fabric early before I had the baby and before moving got crazy... well, it didn't work out so well. I don't think I sent my fabrics out until mid-May - so I've given my dear quilting friends more time to get them back to me. Here's what I have so far. I'm in love with it!
my blocks so far

The fabric is Swanky by Chez Moi (I think that's right). And the pinwheels come from Rachel's (from P.S. I Quilt) pattern.  Pinwheels are one of my favorite blocks.  I'm going to have 12 all together and I'm debating making more to make a bigger quilt....

*****
Now a few notes about Sew & Tell.  I've kind of agonized about writing this.  I've felt a little overwhelmed with how many linkers we've had over the last few months and I wanted to feel less overwhelmed.  I wrote that sew & tell survey post a while back to get some feedback and I've used some of that here.

Sew & Tell isn't just any linky party.    Since you can't come to my house every Friday to show what you've been sewing, we get together here!

It is...
  • a time to get together each week to celebrate a finish of a sewing related project.
  • a place to meet like-minded kindred sewing spirits.
  • an opportunity to get feedback and encouragement to keep cutting up your favorite pieces of fabric!
  • a place to be inspired by the lovely and creative friends you will inevitably make.
I LOVE the community we have built here at Sew & Tell.  I've made some great friends.  I so appreciate everyone's enthusiasm for our weekly accountability check!  It's so motivating for me to have a place to check in each week to make sure I'm keeping on track and not letting my UFO's collect dust!

I know we are all busy.  I know that we can't always visit every blog that links up each week.  I want every minute you spend here to be worth your while.  That's why I've changed some of the link up requirements.

I appreciate all of you regular linkers and I'm happy to welcome new-comers.  However, I'm into quality over quantity. I'm into blogging etiquette. Please participate using the guidelines.

Now I know some people are new.  Or you wrote about something earlier in the week.  Just add a little note about sew & tell to let your other friends know what we're up to.  Maybe they'll be inspired to get some of their projects finished too!

I have gotten some great ideas from projects you have done, as I'm sure you have!  If you used a tutorial to make something - link up to it, in case someone (ie: me) wants to add it to their to-do list.  If you have written a tutorial it would be awesome if you could link to that in a different post as well, sometimes the tutorials in the sew & tell posts are distracting.

And a finish can be whatever you deem a finish, like pieces of a bigger project - like a quilt top for instance.  And if you don't want to blog about a gift until the receiver has gotten it, that's totally fine!  I'm not a total party-pooper.  :)

When sew & tell was born - it really was a means to have a weekly goal.  Finishing up one sewing project a week.  Let's keep it in that spirit and continue enjoying everyone's talents!

I have seen some amazing work here!  You guys are awesome and I'm glad to know you!
Did you make it this far?  Thanks for listening reading.
So now, what did you finish this week?

NEW RULES FOR LINKING UP!  Please read carefully.  The delete monster will be eating non-compliant links.
1. One linky per person. (please put multiple projects in one post.)
2. Link to your specific post.  (See here for permalink instructions - or email me.)
3. Please write the post for sew & tell - or add a blurb mentioning sew & tell to a post written earlier in the week.
4. Link back here with a link or a button.
5. Comment away!

34 crafty mcCrafters commented:

ktquilts said...

Great blocks!! I love pinwheels too. Makes me think that I should post a picture of my blocks fom my bee all together!!

Blessings,

KT

jednoiglec said...

I just wanted to let you know that you Sew&Tell is great! We could find new fancy blogs from all over the world!
Greetings from Poland:)

jednoiglec said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jednoiglec said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dee said...

Amy, I love the pinwheel blocks! They are so fresh and bright. Happy lil' things!

Sarah Craig said...

I love all your blocks! Pinwheels are so much fun....

Rene' said...

Amy, those pinwheel blocks are great in the Swanky fabric. It will be a beautiful quilt. I also like the other bee blocks you've made. I need to add that maple leaf block to my ever growing list. Enjoy your weekend!

Miri said...

Great pinwheel blocks! I just love the fabrics-it will be a great pinwheel sampler!

That half log cabin is adorable!

Lappedamen said...

Great blocks! The Pinwheels will be a beautiful quilt with so many different blocks.

Mag said...

i love the fabrics on the second pictures.

randi said...

such a fun quilt you are collecting!

every week i think that i need to remember to do this for next week. writing myself a note. gonna participate next time. :)

Leslie said...

wow i have to admit that keeping up with all the submissions every week just to say hey you did a great job was getting pretty overwhelming. I confess that last week i did not post or read others because it felt too hard. i hope i get a chance to post later on...i have a few small things i did this week. your swanky blocks are gorgeous. i have a stash of that i have been saving to make a bed sized quilt for my oldest.

Nicole said...

Now I have guilt! Fine, I'm using this weekend to finish my bee blocks. If I wasn't under a pile of fabric every day...

You know I love the Sew & Tell Friday. It's made this year so productive for me! I feel like I've been getting a degree in quilting. :)

Seriously - your pinwheel block is going together today. TODAY.

Anonymous said...

Those blocks are great! I cannot wait to see the finished project.

I have to say, I love Sew and Tell. It has been an incredible inspiration to me. I also totally appreciate the "rules." Thanks for being honest with us gals!

Brynn said...

One of these days I'll actually finish something to post... Until then, I'll enjoy looking at what everyone else is up to! Love the Nicey Jane in the bee blocks - so when are we headed to Fran's???

Lauren said...

I love the pinwheels! I have some fabric that I want to make into another pinwheel quilt. Just waiting for the other supplies to come in the mail! I also love your table or whatever turqoise background you used for the two blocks. Love that color!

LakshmiRP said...

Though i don't quilt, i enjoy watching all those quilts

Kristen said...

Great blocks!

The pinwheels look fantastic!

I love that blue too. I will be going the community yard sale this weekend to find a chair that was meant to be aqua. :)

Andy said...

I love Sew & Tell - it's inspiring to see what others have completed. It helps me get off my rear and get to work on some of those UFOs. (I think I'm down to just 5!)

Lisa said...

Hey, cool! I wandered over here from Milk and Honey Quilts. Definitely going to be a follower. There are some beautiful projects here today!!!!

Catherine said...

Love the second blocks you've made for Sarah and your pinwheel blocks. I voting for you to make it bigger!!
Hope I'm not too late in linking up this week. Haven't been able to link up for a few weeks now so am excited to be able to particapate again finally. Now to visit as many others as I can and get inspired for next week!

Abbey said...

I know I didn't finish a sewing project, but I made something FOR my sewing projects!!!! I hope you can all build this or wink at you hubbys and have him build it for you!!!!

Abbey said...

And let me just say those DONUT PILLOWS are FAAAAAAAAABulous!!!!!

Leslie said...

phewf...i made it in for link up before this whole day got away from me. thanks so much for the weekly and ongoing motivation to get something done. i am now going to plan what i want to finish for next week.

Nina... said...

One of these days i will have to attempt a pinwheel block. I love the way yours turned out!

Vicki said...

thanks so much for hosting Sew & Tell! Your quilt blocks look great, I love the Timber ones.

Jamie Janow Elfert said...

I look forward to Saturday mornings with a cup of coffee and browsing through the Friday Sew and Tell. I actually have two weeks to browse since I was out of town last weekend - so today it will be double special. Thank you so much for hosting. BTW - pinwheels (all kinds) are my favorite blocks and yours are lovely.

Aunt Spicy said...

The blocks you made are excellent! And I think the guidelines for sew and tell are perfect! Now to just finish something :-)

Anonymous said...

I love your blocks!! When We get done our highly active month, I just may participate in your link up. It sounds wonderful. In the meantime, I will follow along and read when I can. Beautiful work. Oh.. I'm doing a maple leaf for my husbands quilt. Nice square. Tammy

Anonymous said...

Great blocks!!
And thanks for running such a great site - I look forward every week to being inspired by everyone's great work. xx

@JoyceCasaldi said...

I haven't finished anything up this week, but did pick up some fat quarters to start making some bird pin cushions for my crafty friends for Christmas. I'll try to post when I get done.

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

I would love to make my first quilt...can anyone recommend a good pattern?

Leah said...

Great job everyone. I did get my quilt finished - now it just needs a label, but I'm waiting for the baby to be born to do that....

Didn't get linked up on the weekend as it was a holiday here and we were celebrating Thanksgiving.

Here is my finished Quilt! http://l3designs.blogspot.com/2010/10/quilt-finished.html


Thanks for the Sew-N-Show!

Jami Nato said...

look at all this craftiness! i don't even like quilts all that much....but you have changed me thoughts. adorable fabric as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...